It sounds so stupid but yesterday I decided to watch the last ever episode of The O.C. (a show which I hold dear to my heart) and it got me thinking. Seeing clips of what all the characters would go on to achieve made me realise just how much I care about what others think of me. I then started to think of occasions when this lead me to give up on certain things and I came up with so many.
Being on a journalism course, I am required to do a lot of chasing around for interviews and article ideas and we are encouraged to try and go straight to the top and persist in getting answers. To me, this is easier said than done. Some people can just pick up a phone or walk into an office and demand to speak to certain people but I'm just not one of them. All of the time I'd be trying to keep a polite image so as not to upset or anger the person on the other end even though I would probably never speak to or see them again. We all know this isn't how you get results in the industry (or even in life) and I always feel stupid afterwards.
Seeing that episode of The O.C. just made me realise how short life is and how much you have to try and cram into it. Upsetting/angering some random stranger on the other end of a telephone could cause you hassle for around 5 seconds of your life (which is easily forgotten) but it could also mean getting a great interview or an important piece of information - something that could go on to determine your future. It just seems stupid to think that I could throw away an important opportunity just because I cared what someone thought of me for a few seconds.
I guess I just need a reminder like that sometimes to encourage me to take less notice and be a little more ruthless..... hence the sign that has now taken up permanent residence on my notice board.
So if you are ever doubting or too afraid to give something a go because of self image, just do it - life really is too short.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I study journalism, and I have the same problem. For some reason when I interview people and I send them accuracy checks or want to talk to them when I need clarification on things, they kind of blow me off. And then I have to chase after them and really bug them in order to get the info I need to make deadline. I don't like doing that, but sometimes I really have to bother them or bust into their office to get what I need (though I try to be polite as possible).
What a great inspirational blog :D its really true and i sure needed reminding of it a few weeks ago, but i'm doing great now. Lifes too short to be a moody bastard like i was the other week :D
Love the noticeboard, i wish i had one cos iv got loads of papers scattered around my room that could do to be pinned up somewhere :D
Great message Wayne. I'm thinking about studying journalism and i'm exactly the same way, I just don't like upsetting people. It's really good that you've noticed that it takes more ruthlessness and persistence for a good interview, and i'm sure if you keep doing it you'll stop worrying about what people are thinking about you eventually.
It sounds almost like a cliche, but the day i stopped worrying about what other people thought of me was probably the best day of my life
Its not often I will say this...because I am a bit of a stubborn cow but your right!!! Very right!! Life is too short and we should grab every chance we can get to make it all a little more interesting!!!!
SO TRUE!!! Really great post this one!
Hi Wayne,
((Sorry, this is long!))
I think it's the good people who worry about upsetting the other person; shows that you are not a hardened professional, not yet, that is :)
I used to be like you. I am a technical writer. You know what that is, I suppose? I write online help for software applications. So my main job is to chase engineers for information about the new releases before the application is built - because the help file needs to be integrated into the application. You can't imagine how stressful this can be :)
The main thing to 'get' here is that getting information from them is your resposibility, your task. The other party is obviously not very interested, becasue it is not important to them, it doesn't feature in their to-do list.
Don't worry about upsetting them, you need to tell yourself that you are doing your job and get on with it. Goes without saying that you must be absolutely polite and well mannered etc.
And finally, a word of caution: Never take anything personally. Even if someone is rude to you, they might be under stress themselves, so pardon that and move on. Just think of it as a job. Think it is not you the person, but you the journalist who is getting the flak, and all will be well :)
I've given some advice though you didn't ask for it. The reason is two-fold: 1. I am much older and have some experience with such things :)
2. I also follow your vlog on Youtube and like it quite a lot :) This gives me a feeling that I know you personally (albeit virtually!).
Good luck to you!
Cheers,
~Manju
India